How to Assemble a Cot Bed – Step by Step Guide
A cot bed is the perfect choice for most parents. Cot Beds are larger than traditional cots (usually 70 cm wide), and they can be converted into toddler beds by removing the sides. This versatility allows more freedom of movement to meet the needs of your growing child, as well as saving you the cost of buying a second bed when your baby outgrows the first. In fact, depending on the height/weight of your child and the condition of the cot bed, you may be able to use your cot bed for up to five years. Assembling cot beds can, however, be a challenge. Here is a helpful, step-by-step guide to make building your cot bed both easy and fun.
To assemble a cot bed, follow these steps:
- Step 1. Bring the tools and the cot to your nursery.
- Step 2. Unpack the cot bed.
- Step 3. Count all the pieces to make sure nothing is missing.
- Step 4. Check all the pieces for damage.
- Step 5. Read the instructions for your particular cot bed.
- Step 6. Assemble your cot bed.
- Step 7. Check the soundness of the crib.
- Step 8. Put the mattress into the crib.
- Do you need a cot bed? (Pros/Cons and Alternatives)
- When should you transition a baby from a cot bed to a toddler bed?
- When to take sides off a cot bed (how to transition to a toddler bed)
To Assemble a Cot Bed Follow These Steps (Details)
Step 1. Bring the Tools and the Cot Bed to Your Bedroom
Experts recommend sleeping in the same room as your baby for the first 12 months. Once assembled, your cot bed will be larger and therefore more difficult to move. We recommend you bring everything into your bedroom first, before you begin assembling your cot bed. This will save time and prevent the hassle of carrying an assembled cot beds from room to room.
Step 2. Unpack The Cot Bed
Each cot bed will come with many different pieces. All the parts will be included in the box, and some won’t require extra tools to assemble them. In the case that additional tools are required, you will likely need a screwdriver, hammer, and/or a ratchet set. The instruction manual will tell you what tools you need. Unpack the box carefully so none of the parts get damaged.
Step 3. Count All The Pieces
After unboxing the cot bed, it is important to count all the pieces to make sure that none are missing. If any of the parts are missing, you have to call the store and ask for an exchange. If the instruction is missing, you may be able to find one online. Most cot beds consist of a headboard, footboard, side rails, mattress support (a simple hardboard or board with springs), and a mattress. Some cot beds may include additional parts. All the screws and fixtures will also be provided, count them as well to make sure nothing is missing.
Step 4. Check All The Pieces
After counting all the pieces, it's time to check them all. Make sure all the pieces are in good condition, and none are damaged. If you choose a wooden cot bed, make sure the wood is not splintered or the paint peeling. It is also essential to check that all parts are baby safe and in good condition. This part is especially crucial if the cot bed is second hand, but damaged parts can also be found in new cot beds.
In case you find any damage, like mold, splintering, peeling paint, sharp edges, or dampness, it is best to ask for a replacement. Broken pieces will wear out easily, and can cause serious harm to your baby.
Step 5. Read The Instructions For Your Particular Cot Bed
Each cot bed comes with its own particular instructions that should be followed carefully. It is crucial to pay attention and follow each step to avoid mistakes. Any mistakes in assembling the cot bed can put your baby's life at danger. No need to rush, read and follow the instructions thoroughly.
If you are unable to find instructions for your cot bed, you can ask the supplier to provide them, or, if your cot bed is second-hand, you can look for the instructions online. Just visit the manufacturer's website and search for the model number of your cot bed.
If all else fails, look for a general assembling guide. Most cot beds have similar essential parts and can be assembled logically. It is, however, recommended that you use the instructions designed for your particular cot bed.
Step 6. Assemble Your Cot Bed (Here are some general instructions)
The best way to assemble a cot bed is by following the instructions. They perfectly describe each step, and include warnings and precautions. If you don't have the instructions here are some necessary steps:
- Lay the headboard on the ground while having the inner sidewall upwards. This side will have holes for the brackets or dowels. The headboard and footboard of most cot beds are interchangeable. If yours has a different headboard and footboard, choose the taller one as a headboard.
- Attach the latch brackets onto the inside of the headboard. The brackets are responsible for attaching the headboard and footboard to the mattress support, so they must be enclosed in the inner part facing each other. Some cot beds come with attached brackets, so simply move to the next section.
- Attached the side rails. Some cot beds have dowels on the ends; you can simply slide the dowels into the latch brackets on the headboard and footboard on one side of the cot and screw them to the crib. If they don't have dowels, you can simply screw them to the headboard and the floorboard.
- Attach the mattress support to the base of the crib. Mattress support can be a simple board, a panel (similar to a ladder), or a frame containing springs. The whole weight of the mattress will be on by this piece, so it's crucial to attach it carefully. Place it at an appropriate height and attach it to the headboard and the footboard with the help of screw, nuts, bolts, or whatever is provided. Additional brackets need to be connected in some cot beds to provide additional support to the mattress base. Some cot beds have adjustable heights, so adjust it as per your requirements and baby's age.
- If the cot bed's base is adjustable, set it at the maximum height for newborn babies, and minimum height for toddlers. Some manufacturers mention the appropriate height on the cot bed, depending upon the age of the baby.
Step 7. Check The Soundness Of The Crib
Once you have assembled your bot bed, it is best to check that it is sound. Shake the crib gently; it should be firm and not wobbly when you shake it. It is better to shake each side of the cot bed to check if it is attached safely. Before placing the mattress, put a light weight (something roughly equivalent to your baby's weight) in the cot bed to check the soundness of the mattress base.
- Now that your crib is ready, read about crib accessories and why you need them
Step 8. Put the Mattress into the Crib
The final step is to slide the mattress into the cot bed. For this step you will not need any tools. Simply lower the mattress and place it on the base of the cot bed. Keep in mind that there should be no more than two fingers space between the mattress and the cot bed to make sure that the baby is safe. You might also want to read about how to make the cot bed more cozy and read up on cot bed dividers for twins.
Other tips to assemble a cot bed
The above details can help you successfully assemble the majority of cot beds. However, some steps can be changed depending on your preferences or model of cot bed. Here are some tips for other ways to assemble a bot bed.
Semi-assemble the cot bed outside of the your bedroom
As stated above, it is best to assemble the cot bed in your bedroom. However, in many cases, it is not possible due to a lack of space. To avoid this problem, you can semi-assemble the cot bed in your garage or any other part of your house and take the parts and assemble it entirely in your bedroom. You can even assemble the cot bed completely in the garage if your bedroom is on the same floor, and your doors are big enough to pass the cot bed through.
Watch an Assembly Video
While it is important to read the instructions thoroughly, it can be annoying to do. Most people dislike reading instructions. One solution is to watch an assembly instruction video. Many cot bed manufacturers have assembly videos on their website, and sometimes YouTubers have made their own. If you are having difficulty with the instructions, see if you can find a video on the internet. That way, if you get stuck at any point, you can rewind and play again.
Use the Amazon Assembly Service
Amazon has started an assembly service in recent years, where they will send a professional furniture assembler to put together different products you have purchased from the Amazon website. The person will come to your home using their own transport, bring his/her own tools, and even clean up after completing the job. The cost depends on where you live and the estimated time. The good news is you do not have to compromise on the cot bed only because it seems difficult or time-consuming to assemble. You can buy any cot bed you want to and call a pro to assemble it. It is a great option for people with no experience assembling furniture or using tools.
What are some easy to assemble cot beds?
There are many cot beds out there, and the choice seems to be difficult, especially if you are looking for ones which are easy to assemble. However, there are some cot beds that are designed to save you a ton of assembly time and effort. Here are some tips to find easy to assemble cot beds while shopping online
Suggested List of Easy to Assemble Cot Beds
|Product Name||Price||User Guide|
|Babyletto 3-in-1 Crib with Toddler Bed Conversion Kit, White||~$380||Link to Amazon User Guide|
|Delta Children 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib, Espresso Cherry||~$250||Link to Amazon User Guide|
|Dream On Me 2-in-1 Folding Portable Crib, Birch||~$150||Link to Amazon User Guide|
|Davinci Alpha Mini Rocking Crib, with Removable Wheels, Cherry||~$130||Link to Amazon User Guide|
|Storkcraft Rosland 3-in-1 Convertible Crib, White||~$120||Link to Amazon User Guide|
|Delta Children Folding Portable Crib with Mattress, White||~$110||Link to Amazon User Guide|
Read Amazon reviews
Reviews help a lot. No one can guide you better than people who have actually bought the cot bed and shared their experience. All you need to do is to find a cot bed you like on amazon, and click on the product page. Scroll down to the customer questions and answers section and type “assemble” or “assembly” or “put together” in the search bar. You can read the explanations there, and they will tell you about any problems people faced during the assembly.