How To Make A Trundle Bed More Comfortable
If you’ve ever gone shopping for a bed, you’ve probably heard the term “trundle bed”. You might wonder, “What is a trundle bed, and is it the right option for my home”?. Trundle beds are a convenient way to create additional sleep space without compromising valuable floor space in your home. They're often found neatly tucked beneath a daybed and can be pulled out and popped up when it's time to go to sleep. The first model of the trundle bed was manufactured in the 16th century when the bed was made with oak and suspension was made from leather.
A trundle bed provides two individual sleeping surfaces that only take the space of one (until you roll out the trundle bed). It's a perfect bed for a child because if they happen to fall out they're not going to hurt themselves (unlike bunk beds). Also, trundle beds are great if you have guests because they can sleep two people easily. Below we will discuss questions like ‘Are trundle beds comfortable?’ and ‘How do you make a trundle bed more comfortable?’. If you’d like the synopsis, here are our tips.
To make a trundle bed more comfortable:
- Use locking casters to prevent them from separating
- Buy the most comfortable & firm mattress that you can because the mattress is only 6” thick
- Store plush bedding in your trundle bed drawers
- Use a T shaped foam cushion for making pop-up trundle beds more comfortable
How comfortable are trundle beds? Are trundle beds comfortable for adults?
To determine if trundle beds are comfortable, we analyzed the following questions for you:
- Can trundle beds fit adults? Yes.
Typically, trundle bed mattresses are twin or full size and are thinner (6” thick in most cases). A twin or full mattress provides plenty of space for an adult to spread out. For taller adults consider buying a twin XL, which is a longer mattress.
- Does the thickness of trundle bed mattresses make them less comfortable? No.
If you buy a firm trundle bed mattress, your guest won’t sag in the mattress and won’t feel uncomfortable. Latex foam works really well.
- Is it hard to use a trundle bed? No.
Just pull it out using the handle and pop it up using the lever (if it’s a popup trundle bed). Trundle beds are light and easy to use. Even if your bed is on carpet you can simply use a low pile rug or plastic mat to make it easy to pull out the trundle bed. To pop up a trundle bed, simply use the lever and pull up. Spring loaded pull up trundle beds are even easier to use. A single person can pull up a trundle bed without much effort.
- Can trundle beds support my weight? It depends.
People over 250 lbs should sleep on the parent bed. Trundle beds tend to have a maximum weight limit of 250 lbs while the parent bed typically can support up to 400 lbs.
- Will an adult feel cramped on a trundle bed when it has been pulled out all the way? It depends.
If you leave the trundle bed near the parent bed, your adult guest will find it hard to roll similar to a couch. However, if you pull out the trundle bed and lock the casters, your adult guest should be able to sleep, roll, and enjoy their night.
Additionally, keep in mind that you need space around a trundle bed to move around. If you put it in a small room, consider having a 2 ft. space around your trundle bed to easily walk around your bed and to pull it out.
- Are trundle beds hard to get in and out of? Yes.
If you have back problems consider sleeping on the parent bed instead of the trundle bed. Because trundle beds are low to the ground, they are hard to get in and out of. However, most adults have no problem getting in and out of a trundle bed.
- Do other people think that trundle beds are comfortable? Yes! See amazon reviews below.
Here are Amazon reviews of some customers who’ve purchased trundle beds :
Are pop up trundle beds comfortable?
Similar to roll-out trundle beds, pop up trundles provide additional sleeping space without needing more space in the room for an additional large piece of furniture. However, unlike roll-out trundle beds, pop-up trundle beds can be lifted as high as the parent bed and then placed next to the parent bed. This makes them more comfortable compared to roll-out trundle beds.
Popup trundle beds are comfortable because you can move a twin pop-up trundle bed next to a twin parent bed to make a king-sized bed!
They’re also easy to store, easy to assemble and easy set-up as well. Many varieties of pop up trundle beds exist.
Additional reasons why pop trundle beds comfortable:
- Compared to a mattress on the floow, it’s convenient and more hygienic
- Compared to a futon mattress, a pop up trundle bed mattress collects less mole than a futon mattress which has more crevices
- Compared to a bunk bed, a trundle bed pop up is safer doesn’t require you to climb to the top bunk
- The frame of the pop up trundle bed can be made up of metal and wood, So choose a frame that is sturdy, strong and durable so it will handle any weight you put on it.
- Even a single person can easily pop up the trundle
How to make a trundle bed more comfortable
A bedroom should be like heaven — a place of rest and comfort. That’s why we made a list of the best ways to make your trundle bed more comfortable.
To make a trundle bed more comfortable, follow these steps:
- Get the most comfortable mattress you can, then buy a thin feather topper to put on the bed. 6” thick latex foam mattresses work really well.
- Attach locking casters to the hidden bed or trundle bed. Once you move the trundle bed into place and set it up the way you want it, you can simply pull the lever on the wheels or casters to keep the bed from moving.
- Alternatively you can use a strap to lock the wheels of the parent bed and the trundle bed to keep them from moving apart.
- Buy a trundle bed with storage so you can store bedding such as quilts
- Provide a light for your guests to use when they are in the trundle bed
How to make a pop-up trundle bed more comfortable
The main reason for buying a pop-up trundle bed is to save space in your bedroom. You can have two beds that can be stored in the same place and the same space as one bed. Depending on the style, pop up trundle beds can also serve as daybeds in the daytime so that they can behave like couches. Some pop up trundle bed designs include drawers to store your kid’s toys and pillows when they are not in use.
To make a pop-up trundle bed more comfortable, follow these steps:
- Bring the two beds as close together as possible. Use two zipties and attach them to each pair of legs to join the two beds together.
- Alternatively, some pop-up trundle beds may come with locking casters. If your trundle bed doesn't have locking casters, pick up some from the hardware store. Locking casters, as stated before, allow you to prevent your beds from separating.
- After popping up the trundle bed, place a T-shaped piece of foam between the two beds along with a strap around the two mattresses. This allows you to convert 2 twin beds into a single king-sized
- For trundle day beds, follow the steps in this article to make a trundle bed more like a couch.
Is a trundle bed as comfortable as a couch?
Here are some reasons why trundle beds are more comfortable than couches:
- When a pop up trundle bed is expanded and placed next to the parent bed, it’s possible for two or even three people to sleep here because it's the size of a king bed
- You can store bedding along with a trundle bed or in storage drawers that are built into the bed. For a couch, you need to store bedding separately.
- Trundle day beds (which are like couches) are as deep as twin mattresses. They’re designed to be slept on. Couches are not as deep.
- On a couch you feel cramped and tend to only sleep on one side of your body. You can’t rotate easily. A trundle bed can be rolled away from the parent bed and both your guests can roll and stretch out easily.
- Cleaning a couch is much more challenging because of all the nooks and crannies. For trundle beds, you can simply remove the covers and wash them similar to a normal bed.
What size of comforters and bedding do you need for trundle beds?
Typically, there are two mattresses on a trundle bed. One is on the parent bed, which typically is a twin or full size mattress. It’s rarer to find queen or king parent beds. And the other mattress is the trundle bed mattress.
Typically, the parent bed mattress is 8 in. to 10 in. thick while the trundle bed mattress is 6 in. thick. This means that you need to buy different fitted sheets for each mattress based on their size. You may find it simpler to buy flat sheets instead if you don’t want sheets that are only built for certain mattress thicknesses.
Take a look at the standard bed and comforter sizes below:
|Mattress Size Name||Size for Comforters and Bedding||Example|
|Twin||39" x 75"||Link to Amazon|
|Full||54" x 75"||Link to Amazon|
|Queen||60" x 80"||Link to Wayfair|
|King||76" x 80"||Link to Amazon|
We hope you found this article useful and now understand that trundle beds are a superior alternative to couches for your guest room and your kids’ room. Our tips should help make your trundle beds very comfortable. You may also enjoy this article on bunk bed room dividers which are a great way to make small rooms more functional. Bunk beds are an excellent alternative to trundle beds for rooms with guests or kids.