7 ideas to Organize a Room with a Loft Bed & What to Put Under a Loft Bed
Loft beds can be so much more than just a bed. Since there are so many exciting ways to organize a room with a loft bed, it sometimes gets very difficult to figure out what to put under a loft bed so you can efficiently use your room. .
Here are ideas of what to put under a loft bed so you can organize your room with a loft bed:
- Put a couch, bean bag, or hammock under your loft bed
- Put a display shelf with decorations or plants under your loft bed
- Add a workstation under your loft bed
- Add baskets, shelves, and a rug to turn the area under a loft bed into a kids play area
- Add shelves under the loft bed to make a walk-in closet
- Turn the area under the loft bed into a private room
- The area under the loft bed can be a multifunctional room with shelves
Additional related topics that might interest you:
- How to make your loft bed sturdier
- A comprehensive guide to loft beds
- Tips to make loft bed ladders more comfortable
Put a couch or bean bags under your loft bed
You can use your loft beds to make your room look super cozy and inviting. Turn your loft bed into the ultimate relaxing spot by using the space below the loft bed as a seating and hang out area. Here are some great ways to make a lounge under your loft bed:
- Place a full sized couch there with a little table in the front. That way you will not only have a seating space to offer a guest but also a relaxing spot for your daily activities. We suggest using the loft bed strictly for sleeping at night and the couch below for relaxing during the day. This can help create a routine for example when you work from home. You might also like how loft beds fit into our bed ideas for guest bedrooms.
- You can add extra comfortable bean bags under your loft bed to make a more casual atmosphere. Choose the color and size of the bean bags to match your loft bed. Accent colors also work really well if you plan on contrasting with your loft bed colors. Bean bags are easy to move around if you ever decide to change your room design.
- Organize a room with a loft bed to be perfect for reading by adding a single sofa, mini table, and footstool. You can also hang a light or keep a lamp in the area to set the ambiance. Warm lights work very well to make your loft bed look cozier.
- If you’re a minimalist, organize the space under the loft bed with a few good floor cushions and a rug to make a cozy nook which is multifunctional and very low budget. Curious about the cost of loft bed varieties?
- Hang a hammock from the bed posts. You need to add rope around the loft bed posts to provide a place for your hammock hooks to attach. Something like this go anywhere rope kit will work.
Put a display shelf with decorations or plants under your loft bed
Organizing your room so that your loft bed is a decorative element is also a great idea. There are a thousand ways in which you can be creative with your loft bed without having to mess with the actual bed on top. Add some open shelves to the walls near the loft bed and fill them with decorative elements that you love.
For instance, if you are a traveler and you love to collect souvenirs from different cities and countries you visit, you can use your loft bed shelves as a display rack to keep all your souvenirs. You can also add some indoor plants to give your room a more natural / outdoorsy feel.
If you decide to turn your loft bed into a piece of art, we suggest that you keep the rest of your room decor very simple so that it doesn’t look congested and overdone. If you still think you’d like to have some other decorative elements in your room like some wall art, make sure to add the art on the wall opposite the loft bed.
Add a workstation under your loft bed
Do you work from home? or tend to bring work home? Brace yourself! We have a great idea for you. You can turn the area under your loft bed into your personal work station. There are two ways in which you can do this: one way is to buy a loft bed that is specifically built with a desk underneath and the other is to adapt your regular loft bed by adding a few shelves and an auxiliary desk.
A minimalist style workstation can be created by adding a simple shelf to act as the desk and a chair to go with it. But, if you have a lot of office supplies and need extensive organization, you may need to opt for some more shelf space or add organizers.
If you plan to add a workstation under your loft bed, consider adding a cozy sofa at one of the empty corners of your room to balance the furniture in the room. In a large room, you can set up a more complete sitting area with sofas and an end table.
Add baskets, shelves, and a rug to turn the area under a loft bed into a kids play area
Want to organize your room with a loft bed so that it’s ready for play time? Not only will your kids love the idea, but it will also help to keep the room organized. Kids tend to make a lot of mess while playing with their toys and with the whole room cluttered with toys it is very easy to trip over things and get hurt. By defining the area below the loft bed as a play area, you can prevent clutter.
Add a few colorful baskets and shelves in the area beneath your loft bed and teach your children to keep things back into their original location after they are done playing. You can also add a carpet and floor cushions for additional comfort. Curious about how to make a loft bed taller so you can fit more stuff?
Add shelves under the loft bed to make a walk-in closet
This is not what most people do with loft beds but nonetheless it is a great idea, especially if you are living in a small space and trying to keep things as compact and organized as possible. You can add shelves along the three sides of the area under the loft bed and turn the space into a beautiful walk-in closet. Add cabinet lights in the closet and sort your clothes by color.
If you are not comfortable with the idea of an open closet, you can also add doors to the closet or simply buy some curtains. Anything can look good depending on the colors and materials that you choose. One tip to make small spaces look bigger and better organized is to use colors that blend well with each other.
Related topic: How bunk bed room dividers maximize space in a small room
Turn the area under the loft bed into a private room
As children, we have all fantasized about having a secret place all to ourselves. With a loft bed, we can actually live this fantasy. Instead of leaving the place under the loft bed open you can cover it on all sides to make a room inside. This private room will work better if you have a high loft bed placed in a room with high ceilings. That way when you enter the covered area under the loft bed it will feel like a complete little room.
You can also turn this little room of yours into a distraction-free space which you can use to meditate, write or do anything that requires your complete concentration. Covering the area under the loft bed is an interesting way to make a room within a room.
Consider decorating the outer walls with pretty wallpapers or leave them plain. This idea will work great for open-floor plans in which different rooms are not separated by walls. By maintaining a small private space, you can continue to have the appearance of an open floor plan while giving yourself some privacy.
The area under the loft bed can be a multifunctional room with shelves
Can’t choose between all these cool ideas for organizing your loft bed room? Well, you don’t have to. You can make your loft bed multifunctional by being a little creative. Divide the area under the loft bed into sections and allocate different areas for different purposes. A king sized loft bed makes this much easier to execute than a smaller loft bed.
Place the king sized loft bed in the center of the room close to a wall to provide yourself maximum flexibility to organize your room and loft bed with multiple ideas. You can have open shelves installed on the sides to display decorative items and closed cabinets for storage. Then add a workstation, a lounging area, or both directly below the loft bed.