What is a Platform Bed Skirt?
What is a Platform Bed Skirt?
A platform bed skirt is a decorative layer of bedding with drapery that has a passing resemblance to a woman’s skirt. It is also known as a valance or dust ruffle. This bed covering is designed to conceal the bottom of the bed or the bed base. Historically, its function was to keep the underside warm by keeping out draft but it also served to prevent dust build up underneath, so it also came to be known by its more functional name – the dust ruffle.
The “platform” part of the platform bed skirt refers to the top part that covers the top of the box spring or the bed base. It’s usually in neutral shades like white or ecru but it can also match the color of the skirt. Attached to the platform are the skirts that hang from three sides – the two sides, then the foot of the bed. Traditionally, the head of the bed doesn’t require ruffles since that part is where the head board would be thus it would usually be placed against the wall. While there are bed skirts without platforms, the platform bed skirt is traditional, sturdier and arguably looks much better.
Related topic: How do you dress up a platform bed?
What is bed skirt “drop”?
The “drop” of the bed skirt refers to the length of the skirt or ruffle. This length is measured from the edge of the platform to the edge of the skirt. To see if the drop of the platform bed skirt is compatible with your bed setup, measure from the top of your box spring or bed base down to the floor. The industry standard for bed skirts is about 14 or 15 inches but you can get bed skirts with 18 or 21 inch drops if you have a taller bed.
Do you need a platform bed skirt?
No, you do not need a platform bed skirt. However, deciding to get a new platform bed skirt can be surprisingly tough. While you can manage without one, choosing to get this bed accessory does add a sophisticated flair that contributes a strikingly beautiful extra to your entire bed cover ensemble.
Think of it this way, if you only rely on comforters, quilts and duvets, you are only covering the top half of your entire bed. With this setup of bedding, your bed is going to look top heavy which leaves the bottom part rather bare. By covering the bed base and the space underneath, you are completing the polished look of a sophisticated and well-made bed.
Furthermore, by choosing to add a dust ruffle to your bed linens, you will help prevent specks of dust from collecting beneath your bed and ultimately avert the creation of dust bunnies. So, there are two main benefits to using a platform bed skirt and these have to do with cleanliness and beauty – basically, its functional aesthetics.
The third reason why you may need a platform bed skirt that is connected with both neatness and function is the creation of a hidden storage space under the bed. If your bed frame allows it, you may use the underside of your bed for storing boxes, bins, shoes or whatever and having them displayed in the light of day would look a little bit untidy - which is why adding a platform bed skirt is such a great idea.
Related topic: How to raise your platform bed
How do you put on a platform bed skirt?
To put on a platform bed skirt follow these steps:
- Step 1. You must first prepare the bed skirt by ironing out all the wrinkles.
- Step 2. Lift the mattress off from the box spring and set it aside.
- Step 3. Drape the platform bed skirt over the box spring or bed base as you would a tablecloth on a dining table.
- Step 4. Properly align the platform to the top of the box spring making sure (for traditional 3-sided dust ruffles) that the side without a skirt is placed at the head of the bed.
- Step 4. Arrange and straighten out the skirts hanging on the sides.
- Step 5. Carefully replace the mattress.
TIP: You can actually layer platform bed skirts that have complementary patterns such as draping a gathered bed skirt over a fringed bed skirt.
To put on a non-platform or detachable bed skirt follow these steps:
- Step 1. Make sure to match each skirt or ruffle panel to the corresponding side. You’ll know this by their length.
- Step 2. Ready the attachment or mounting method. Bed skirts that don’t have platforms can be mounted in a variety of ways that include screw pins, hook-and-loop (Velcro) or even elastic bands.
- Step 3. Unlike with platform bed skirts, mounting non-platform bed skirts doesn’t require removal of the mattress. Just make sure that you have an unimpeded view of the sides of the bed base or box spring. You can remove the top covers of the bed if you wish or just fold the sides up and away temporarily.
- Step 4. To create a proper fit, mount the skirt panels one at a time making sure to align the tops of the skirt with the top of the box spring as you go along the sides.
- Step 5. Repeat step 4 as you go around the bed, making sure to cover the corners in accordance with the style of bed skirt used.
How do you choose a good platform bed skirt?
To choose a good bed skirt, follow these tips:
- Tip 1. Know the look you are going for, or at the very least browse different style variants online to know which type feels or looks right for you. If you really go into it, you’ll find that there is an almost endless number of possibilities you can go for. It’s good to check out what are available before you settle with one or two.
- Tip 2. Have a good sense of the types of materials used by reading product descriptions and checking out product images. If you’re buying bed skirts online, it’s a great idea to read about the materials used in their construction. Also, always make sure that the material listed on the description match what arrived in the package on your doorstep.
- Tip 3. For a perfect fit, know the exact size of your bed and the bed skirt. Measure your bed and read and understand the dimensions of the platform bed skirt you are considering to purchase. Beds come in a lot of different sizes and so do bed skirts. Remember, platform bed skirts designed for a queen size bed will not fit a California king bed.
- Tip 4. Learn about the different types of bed skirts available.
Bed skirts can be differentiated by the methods they are mounted. There are platform bed skirts and detachable bed skirts. Detachable bed skirts can be secured by screws, Velcro tapes or elastic bands.
Bed skirts are also differentiated by the design of the skirt or ruffles. The skirts can be in a variety of styles such as: box pleats, gathered, kick pleats, split cornered, tailored, fringed or voile.
- Tip 5. Measure the “drop” length of your bed. This is measured from the top of the spring box to the floor.
- Tip 6. Catalog the different bed linens you already have or the ones that you plan on getting and start from there. Always consider the color, the material, the design patterns as well as the overall aesthetic of your main beddings, and then get platform bed skirts or detachable bed skirts to match and complement the look you’re going for.
- Tip 7. Be bold and creative. While there are more conservative conventions on style such as matching colors and material, don’t be afraid to mix and match or to play around with contrasting colors or different materials to add a unique accent in your bedroom. Just like with any decorative piece you may add to your home, always picture out the resulting look in your head by taking pictures of your bed linens and comparing them side by side with pictures of platform bed skirts. This is similar to how you may use swatches of curtains or even paint to get a feel of what you really want.
- Tip 8. Final tip: Just go for it. After you do your research, just get the bed skirt you have your eye on and see if it’s as good as you thought it would be otherwise return it and get a new one.
What are the advantages of platform bed skirts?
The advantages of using platform bed skirts are:
- They make your bed beautiful
- They prevent dust from collecting under your bed
- They hide storage space under a bed
As you can see, the benefits of platform bed skirts are centered on the benefits of their function and the aesthetics of their appearance. First of all, platform bed skirts make your bed so much more beautiful and comfortable. It just has this warm effect as it completes the overall bedding ensemble. A valance or bed skirt essentially brings everything in visual harmony. You can play around with the drape style, material and color but generally beds will look more visually appealing and inviting with a platform bed skirt on.
With regard to functionality, the skirt that drapes around the bed base prevents dust from collecting underneath. This is why it is also known as the dust ruffle. In the past (and still even now to some extent), platform bed skirts were utilized to insulate the underside of beds and keep draft from unexpectedly cooling the bed.
If you have a bed frame that allows storage underneath, then adding a platform bed skirt creates a tidy hidden storage space for many items such as boxes and shoes.
If you’re comparing platform bed skirts with detachable bed skirts, then it can be argued that platform bed skirts are sturdier since they are kept in place by the entire weight of the mattress and linens as opposed to the temporary fastening of detachable bed skirts with screws or Velcro strips.
How much do platform bed skirts cost?
The cost of platform bed skirts ranges from $10.33 to $74.99. Take a look at the table below for some examples.