How To Hang Sheers on a Canopy Bed – Step by Step with Tips & Pictures
Decorating your bedroom and making it even more comfortable and cozy is essential for the quality of your sleep. One of the coziest types of beds are canopy beds, which were initially created to provide privacy and conserve warmth. In the case of modern canopy beds, you may want to use curtains for additional privacy or just for decoration. Canopy beds are often used with traditional curtains that are long, heavy, and thick. Sheers (or sheer curtains), on the other hand, are almost entirely see-through, providing less privacy but allowing light and air to pass easily through the fabric. Because of this, sheers are typically used to decorate a canopy bed rather than create a private atmosphere. But how do you put sheers on a canopy bed?
To put sheers on a canopy bed, first, measure the dimensions of the bedposts and select sheers that are suitable for the canopy bed. Decide how you want to put the sheers on your canopy bed, and make sure the sheers are hung symmetrically on all sides of the bed unless you’re going for an asymmetrical look.
Below, we will provide step-by-step instructions for putting sheers on a typical canopy bed. Make sure to also take a look at how to drape your canopy bed, our canopy bed scarf guide, why you need these 10 canopy bed accessories, how to convert any bed into a canopy bed, and find out how to use a canopy bed on the floor too.
Step 1. Measure the Dimensions of the Bed Posts to Put Sheers on a Canopy Bed
First, take measurements of the length of the posts and rods that make up the upper part of the canopy bed frame. Whether you are making your own sheers or purchasing ready-to-use curtains, knowing the exact length of these posts is essential. If you buy sheers that are shorter than the posts of your canopy bed, the sheers might not look as attractive as they would have if they had been the proper length.
It’s also important to measure the length of the rods that connect the four posts of the canopy bed. Knowing the exact length is important for selecting sheers that are the right width. Typical queen canopy beds are approximately 84 inches high, 76 inches wide, and 87.5 inches deep, but you should always be sure to measure your canopy bed before selecting a set of sheers.
Step 2. Select Sheers That Are Suitable for the Canopy Bed
Next, you should choose sheer curtains that are suitable for your specific canopy bed. To select the right sheers for your canopy bed, it is crucial to consider several characteristics:
- Width: Make sure to select sheers that correspond to the measurements you obtained in step 1. If you want the sheers to overlap as shown in the images above, you should buy wider sheers so that there is enough fabric to cover the rods. If you want some additional fabric to give the curtains a wavy look, you should also consider buying wider sheers. The width you choose is entirely dependent on your personal preferences. However, it is not recommended to stretch sheers since the material is delicate and can be torn easily. Also, sheers look much more luxurious when loosely hung over the canopy bedposts.
- Material: Material is yet another characteristic that should be considered when selecting the right sheer curtains. Sheers can be made from different types of material, meaning that some might be dense and thick (here’s an example from Amazon) while others might be relatively thin and delicate (another example). Along with your personal preference, there are several factors to keep in mind when choosing between the different materials for sheer curtains. For instance, if the posts of your canopy bed are carved or have sharp edges, you might want to use thicker sheers to ensure that these details do not damage the curtains. If your canopy bed does not have any sharp corners, you can use thin sheers without worrying about tearing them.
- Color: You should choose sheers in a color that matches your personality as well as the overall design of your bedroom. The selection of colors in your bedroom can affect your mood and how well you sleep, so you might want to keep this in mind when choosing the color of your sheers. For more information on how color can affect sleep, see this study.
Step 3. Decide How You Want To Put the Sheers on Your Canopy Bed
Once you have sheers with the right dimensions, you should decide how you want to drape them on your canopy bed. There are many different ways to put sheers on a canopy bed, so we’ve listed some common ways to hang them below.
- Hang sheers so that they overlap in the middle of the connecting rod above the bed. You can do this for all four sides, or you can do it on three sides and leave one side as an entrance to the bed. This will create a private space while also letting more light and airflow through the curtains. Plus, leaving one side open can create the illusion of depth and give the bed an even cozier look.
- Drape sheers over the connecting rods and let them hang freely. This will give the bed a modern look and make it easier to move the curtains when needed.
- Drape the sheers over the rods and wrap the lower part of the curtain around the posts of the bed. By doing this, you will give your bed a look that’s both Victorian and contemporary. (See below)
You might come up with another way to decorate your canopy bed using sheers. This part is totally up to you, as long as you feel comfortable in the bed and the overall look of the bedroom matches your personality.
Step 4. Make Sure the Sheers Are Hung Symmetrically on All Sides of the Bed
For this last step, you will need nothing but patience. Observe the canopy bed from all sides and make sure that the sheers are hung symmetrically (unless, of course, you have decided to hang them asymmetrically). This step might take some time, but your bed will look amazing with perfectly draped sheer curtains once you finish.
If you want to get some other tips and tricks for decorating your canopy bed with curtains, check out our ultimate guide to draping canopy beds.
What Are Sheers?
In the previous section, we discussed how to hang sheers, or sheer curtains, on a canopy bed. But what exactly are sheers?
Sheers are curtains made of relatively thin and light fabric (typically polyester) that allow air to flow through the material freely. The translucence of sheers makes it easier for light to pass through them, as opposed to traditional curtains. Sheers are quite popular nowadays and are commonly used on canopy beds and as indoor and outdoor decorations.
Since canopy bed curtains are used to create an aesthetically pleasing environment, sheer curtains are an ideal choice to enhance the look of a canopy bed. Sheers add elegance to the design of any room, no matter whether they are used as window curtains or decorative curtains for canopy beds. Since sheers are quite see-through, they are sometimes used in tandem with regular opaque curtains.
Sheer curtains are popular for their delicacy and lightness, which allow the user to easily clean, wash, and dry them. However, since sheers are quite thin, they are sensitive to temperature and can be easily damaged if not handled with care.
Sheer Curtains vs. Opaque Curtains
Since we’ve already discussed sheer curtains, let’s compare and contrast them with opaque curtains.
Sheer curtains vs. Opaque curtains are thin, light, and don’t provide much privacy. Opaque curtains are thick, designed to block light, and provide the most privacy compared to other types of curtains, especially sheers.
If you are wondering whether opaque curtains can be used for decorating canopy beds, there are a few factors that you should consider. Opaque curtains might block air from reaching the center of the bed, which could make it harder to breathe while sleeping or resting on the canopy bed (for more information about bedroom ventilation and how it can affect sleep, see this study). Additionally, less light passes through opaque curtains, which can darken the entire room. On the other hand, the thin and delicate design of sheers allows air and light to pass through and create the illusion of a larger bedroom. In the end, it is totally up to you to decide which type of curtain you use to decorate your canopy bed.
To better understand the differences between sheer and opaque curtains, the following table lists some of the major characteristics of each type along with their pros and cons.
|Sheer Curtains||Opaque Curtains|
|Thin and light but still provide UV protection||Thick and relatively heavy|
|Easy to clean, wash, and dry||Require more time to clean, wash, and dry|
|See-through, offering less privacy and more sunlight||Not see-through, offering more privacy and preventing sunlight from passing through|
|Less expensive than opaque curtains||Thicker material makes them more expensive than sheers|
|Example: Here’ are some highly rated sheer curtains on Amazon||Example: Here are some black star-pattern opaque curtains|
Other Tips To Decorate a Canopy Bed
There are many different techniques that can be used for decorating your canopy bed and making it look even better. But what are some other tips to decorate a canopy bed?
Other tips to decorate a canopy bed include hanging curtains on only one side of the canopy bed, using curtain holders, tying curtains to the top of each post, and adding some lights to the canopy bed.
Below, we’ll discuss these tips in more detail.
Tip 1. Hang Curtains on Only One Side of the Canopy Bed
One unique way to decorate your canopy bed is to hang curtains on only one side of the bed. In many cases, this can be done by draping the curtains above the headboard. This will create some privacy as well as give the bed a modern and appealing design.
Tip 2. Create a Vintage Look by Using Curtain Holders
Another tip to decorate canopy bed curtains and create a vintage look is to use curtain holders with interesting patterns. If your canopy posts already have patterns or ornamentation, you can match the holders with these decorations to make the bed design look cohesive.
Tip 3. Tie Sheers to the Top of Each Post
Tying curtains to the top of each canopy bedpost is another way to decorate your canopy bed. To do so, you will just need a curtain or even a regular piece of fabric. Take one end of the fabric and tie it to the highest part of the post. To make the bed even more alluring, you can attach fabric to each of the rods connecting the posts of the canopy bed.
Tip 4. Add Some Lights to the Canopy Bed
Last but not least, you can add some lights to the posts and rods of the canopy bed. You can do this whether you have curtains hanging on your canopy bed or not. Lights look beautiful with sheer curtains; shimmering, see-through sheers will reflect the light and create a dreamy environment in your bedroom.
Make sure you clean your curtains often to maintain your dreamy look! To learn more about how to properly clean your sheer curtains, follow the link to Mary H.J. Farrell’s article on Consumer Reports.
- How to hang curtains on a bunk bed
- A comprehensive guide to canopy beds
- Types of canopy beds and how to choose the right one